korisma

•a fashion and lifestyle blog•

The United States of Tacky Sweaters?


The Olympics, both winter and summer, are the ultimate display of sport and country prowess. Millions watch and cheer on their spectacular teams through thrilling success and devastating defeat (which in the US is equivalent to a bronze medal). However, some people, like me, are solely captivated by the spectacle of Opening Ceremony outfits. Don't get me wrong, I love sports. But fashion is fashion.

As both an American and fashion indulger, I was slightly mortified upon viewing the United States' ensemble, courtesy of Ralph Lauren. Other countries, such as Ukraine and Germany, opted for fun, brightly colored down coats that not only made a statement, but also seemed practical for the Sochi climate. I don't even know where to start when deciphering the US' outfit. I could begin with the patchwork-esque cardigan that looked straight out of your grandmother's closet, covered with stars that resembled large polka dots from a distance. I think my favorite part was seeing snowboarding legend Shaun White rocking that white turtleneck–– a piece owned by every affluent skier in the 1990s. It pains me to say this, but, Ralph, what were you thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment